The winner of the $50 million USSOCOM Sniper Rifle Contract, the Barrett Mark 22 Advanced Sniper Rifle now sits at the tip of the spear of US military might. Based on Barrett’s Multi Role Adaptive Design Sniper Rifle, better known as the MRAD, the Barrett Advanced Sniper Rifle System was able to meet and exceed SOCOM’s stringent requirements for the Mark 22 contract.
Milled from a single block of 7075 Aluminum, the Barrett Mark 22 Advanced Sniper Rifle’s receiver more resembles the lower receiver of an AR platform rifle – housing the fire control group and magazine well, as well as attachment points for the pistol grip and folding buttstock. The upper receiver of the Barrett Mark 22 Advanced Sniper Rifle System also shares visual and functional similarities with the AR platform, with the bolt riding within a completely enclosed upper aided by a polymer bolt guide. What helped secure USSOCOM’s contract for Barrett is the intuitive caliber changing functionality of the Mark 22 Advanced Sniper Rifle System (and MRAD). In order to change calibers on the Barrett Mark 22 only two parts need to be swapped: the barrel, held in place by two torx screws and the bolt head.
USSOCOM Advanced Sniper Rifle Requirements
- Must be convertible to fire 7.62mm NATO, .300 Norma Magnum, and .338 Norma Magnum cartridges.
- Must not exceed 17 lbs. with an empty magazine, but is ideally 13 lbs. or less.
- Must not exceed 50″ when fully extended, but is ideally 40″.
- Must not exceed 40″ when collapsed for transport, but is ideally 36″.
- Must perform with at least 1 MOA accuracy for the 7.62 NATO and .300 Norma Mag at 300 yds. Ideally .5 MOA
- Must perform with at least 2.5 MOA accuracy for the .338 Norma Mag at 300 yds. Ideally 1.5 MOA.
- Must have a modular flash or sound suppressor
The Barrett Mark 22 Rifles differs from the MRAD in a few small but important areas. The first being the handguard, the Mark 22 features the M-LOK attachment system with attachment points at the 3, 6, and 9 o’clock positions and full length picatinny top rail. The Mark 22 features a single stage trigger fixed at just 2.5 lbs. and finished with protective black coating. The buttstock of the Mark 22 will include a incremental mechanical lock for adjusting comb height, an adjustable recoil pad, and a bag rider covering a picatinny rail that allows for the mounting of a monopod. The Barrett Mark 22 Advanced Sniper Rifle System is also coated in an exclusive SOCOM Coyote Brown finish.
Barrett Mark 22 Sniper Rifle Kit Exclusive Features
- Nightforce ATACR 7-35x56mm Riflescope with T3 Reticle – Exclusive to the MK22, this scope was selected by USSOCOM due to its extended range target detection and reliable mechanical adjustment
- Nightforce Cantilever Scope Mount – Purpose built for the Nightforce ATACR 7-35x56mm, this scope mount is equipped with a picatinny rail for use with a laser range finder
- 1750 Pelican Case – Features an ultra durable watertight, crush-proof and dust-proof construction with cut foam to organize all components
- (2) 10-round magazines
- Contract bi-pod
- Bag rider
- Zero Target from Factory
- Caliber:.300 Norma Magnum
- Weight:15.2 lbs (without optic)
19.11 lbs (with optic and mount)
- Rifle Overall Length:48.4 inches (1229mm)
- Action:Bolt Action
- Trigger:2.5 lb Single Stage Trigger
- Safety:AR Style Selector
- Rifle Barrel Length:26 inches
- Rifle Barrel Twist:1:8″
- Rifle Stock:Folding MRAD Stock
- Scope Mount:Full Length 10 MIL Picatinny Rail
- Magazines Included:(2) 10 round magazines
- Iron SightsNo
- Caliber or Gauge:.300 Norma Mag
- HandednessRight Hand
- Item ConditionNew